Freelance Dance Artist Opportunities
Flamingo Chicks is Looking for Professional Dance Artists to Join our friendly team!
Flamingo Chicks is a charity and inclusive community giving all children, including disabled children and those with illnesses such as cancer, the opportunity to enjoy dance and explore movement. We also provide a vital peer support network for parents and carers, intergenerational volunteering, global outreach and advocacy.
At Flamingo Chicks we embrace diversity. We recognise that the genre of ballet is predominantly white and are committed to making change. Our work on this is at every level – across our Trustees, Operations Team, and Volunteers, as well as our Teaching Team. We feel passionate that our charity should be truly representative of the people it serves. We’re therefore encouraging applicants from all backgrounds and (especially those) from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups. Given the nature of our work, we are keen to add more lived disability experience to the Team too – helping us evolve our work with all disabilities in mind.
We are looking for Dance Artists who:
- Are experienced in working professionally in community and/ or health settings through dance/ movement facilitation.
- Love working with children and have a passion for inclusive practice.
- Can provide a creative, fun and immersive participatory experience that engages and inspires everyone involved (including adults/ support staff/ parents present in sessions too).
- Are appropriately qualified – e.g. a dance degree or equivalent experience in dance or movement-based arts practices. Your practice does not have to be ballet-based; we welcome all styles.
- Are creative and open-minded, with a willingness to learn, share experiences, and be an advocate for Flamingo Chicks.
Working with us is a truly rewarding experience and we provide full training and ongoing support throughout your time with us. All opportunities are paid and on a freelance contract. Rates of pay vary; including hourly rates, half days and full days, depending on the particular sessions/ project.
Please note that opportunities can be ad-hoc and there is no guarantee of work – we work with each artist to cater to their schedule, skills, and geographical location (for in-person work) in relation to opportunities we have available. This means things fluctuate and there may be times when no work is offered, but other times when dance artists are busy with multiple sessions/ projects.
We currently have opportunities for artists in Bradford, London and Guildford – more information is below:
Bradford & LonDON
Ongoing varied vacancies, including regular sessions, ad-hoc taster workshops, and occasional projects.
We are looking for artists based in any areas of these cities. We currently operate regularly in the Low Moor and Heaton areas of Bradford, and the London boroughs of Westminster, Barnet, Brent, and Camden but are very open to new areas!
A specific opportunity is available in Guildford:
- 2 hours per week, in-person, on Thursday afternoons at a SEN school in Guildford (other days and times can be considered if required)
- September start
- Term time only
Opportunities for more work beyond this are likely too, including projects and workshops alongside regular classes. Rates of pay vary, including hourly rates, half days and full days, depending on the particular sessions/ projects.
To apply for either opportunity please send your CV and a short statement on why you would like to work with Flamingo Chicks to:
Samantha McCormick, Head of Dance: [email protected]
Alternatively, you are welcome to send a short video or audio file. If you need this information in any other format, please let us know and we will be happy to help. Thank you!